I love bread – especially this one – it’s amazing for several reasons.
Taste and appearance rank up at the top for sure – but following this, it’s super easy and inexpensive! “Inexpensive” and “easy” are not common words attached to Paleo or Gluten-Free Bread. But this one right here takes little prep, needs only five ingredients and costs less than five dollars.
The recipe is inspired by two separate recipes – Toasted Coconut Butter from The Healthy Foodie, and Coconut Butter Bread from Loving Our Guts. All that I can take credit for is combining the two – making delicious Toasted Coconut Butter Bread.
Toasted Coconut Butter Bread
Prep: 5-10 min Cook: 1 hr Yields: 10-12 slices
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup Toasted Coconut Butter (1 pound shredded coconut or coconut flakes)
- 1/4 cup palm shortening, room temp grass-fed butter or ghee, or melted coconut oil
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Spread the coconut out onto two baking sheets, place in oven for 10-15 minutes (until a lite brown/toasted).
- Remove coconut, add to high powered blender (Vitamix if you have one!) or food processor, blend/process until smooth and liquidy. In the blender, this will take no time – make sure to use a tamper/accelerator stick if you have one. It will take 2-3 minutes in the food processor with some scrapping down of the sides intermittently.
- Next add the palm shortening (or other fat) and blend/process until smooth.
- Finally add remaining ingredients. Pour into a 4×6 or 5×9 loaf pan that is lined with parchment paper or is greased well. Place in oven, bake for 45-52 minutes, until the top is bouncy or a toothpick comes out clean. Store wrapped in a paper towel in airtight container, preferably in the fridge, to maintain moisture.
This is quite delicious smothered in cherry jam! Enjoy 🙂
Make sure to check out the Primal Life Kit 2014 Bundle Sale! Over 49 products (ebooks, discounts, etc) for just $39. Check it out here! It runs through April 28th.
Keep up with all the exciting news to come on Coconut Contentment via Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram.