I love bread – especially this one – it’s amazing for several reasons.
Taste and appearance rank up at the top for sure – but following this, it’s super easy and inexpensive! “Inexpensive” and “easy” are not common words attached to Paleo or Gluten-Free Bread. But this one right here takes little prep, needs only five ingredients and costs less than five dollars.
The recipe is inspired by two separate recipes – Toasted Coconut Butter from The Healthy Foodie, and Coconut Butter Bread from Loving Our Guts. All that I can take credit for is combining the two – making delicious Toasted Coconut Butter Bread.
Toasted Coconut Butter Bread
Prep: 5-10 min Cook: 1 hr Yields: 10-12 slices
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup Toasted Coconut Butter (1 pound shredded coconut or coconut flakes)
- 1/4 cup palm shortening, room temp grass-fed butter or ghee, or melted coconut oil
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Spread the coconut out onto two baking sheets, place in oven for 10-15 minutes (until a lite brown/toasted).
- Remove coconut, add to high powered blender (Vitamix if you have one!) or food processor, blend/process until smooth and liquidy. In the blender, this will take no time – make sure to use a tamper/accelerator stick if you have one. It will take 2-3 minutes in the food processor with some scrapping down of the sides intermittently.
- Next add the palm shortening (or other fat) and blend/process until smooth.
- Finally add remaining ingredients. Pour into a 4×6 or 5×9 loaf pan that is lined with parchment paper or is greased well. Place in oven, bake for 45-52 minutes, until the top is bouncy or a toothpick comes out clean. Store wrapped in a paper towel in airtight container, preferably in the fridge, to maintain moisture.
This is quite delicious smothered in cherry jam! Enjoy
Make sure to check out the Primal Life Kit 2014 Bundle Sale! Over 49 products (ebooks, discounts, etc) for just $39. Check it out here! It runs through April 28th.
Keep up with all the exciting news to come on Coconut Contentment via Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram.