One of my mama’s special breakfast treats for me when I was growing up was cinnamon raisin bread toasted and drizzled with honey. I loved it. I begged for her to buy it and could not wait to see it come home from the grocery.
In this grain-free, dairy-free life, this special treat in its store-bought form is no longer an option. So, this past weekend I decided it was time to create my own quick version of this delicious bread. I hope that you enjoy it :)
Prep: 15-20 min Cook: 47-50 min. Yields: One Loaf
- 6 room temp eggs *see tip below
- 1/3 cup palm shortening, ghee, softened butter, or melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (sub with your preferred milk)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp cream of tarter
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
For the Swirl:
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Pre-heat your oven to 325 degrees. Cover the bottom of an 8×4 loaf pan with parchment paper and grease the sides (and bottom if you do not have parchment paper) with palm shortening (or other baking fat you chose).
- You have the option to separate the eggs – this will allow you to whip up your egg whites and ensure a good light texture -this is not necessary though. If you do choose to separate them – go ahead and place your egg whites in a medium, clean bowl, and set it aside. Place your egg yolks in a large mixing bowl. If you choose not to – just add all your eggs to one large mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the wet ingredients to your yolks (or whole eggs). Cream until smooth.
- Add your dry ingredients, mix until well-combined.
- Get your cinnamon swirl ready – simply mix together the first 3 swirl ingredients in a small bowl – Keep your raisins separate.
- If you separated your eggs – With a hand mixer or KitchenAid mixer – using clean beaters – on a medium speed whip up your egg whites until soft peaks begin to form when you remove the beaters. Fold the egg whites into the batter until just combined.
- Add about 1/3 of the batter to your loaf pan – drizzle 1/2 of your swirl, and then quickly with a knife lightly zig-zag the swirl on top of the batter. Sprinkle with half of your rasisins
- Add another third of the batter and repeat.
- Top with rest of batter.
- Place in oven to cook for 47-50 minutes – until the top is bouncy or until when a toothpick is inserted in the top it comes out clean.
- Remove and let cool for 5-10 minutes. Flip out to finish cooling. Can be tightly wrapped and stored on counter for 5-7 days, or placed in fridge for 10-14 days
Enjoy! :) The hubby loves it with my Apple Butter.
*TIP: To quickly bring eggs to room temp – place in bowl of very warm water for 5-10 min. I normally let these sit while I gather and prep my ingredients.