One of my favorite soups growing up was Beef and Vegetable Soup. Something about it was just always so comforting…likely that something was all of the delicious chunks of potatoes.
Lately I have been incorporating more starches into our diet, the latest being baby potatoes. Are they not just the cutest? My favorite of the trio that I buy is the purple baby potato. I love dicing it up and seeing the bright color!
So with beef broth in the freezer, potatoes on the counter, and ground beef in the fridge I decided it was time to bring back Beef and Vegetable Soup. I was so happy with the result that I just had to share it with you all! I hope that you enjoy this easy and so nutritious soup as much as we do 🙂
Beef and Vegetable Soup
Prep: 15 min Cook: 1 hour (or slow cooker for 8) Yields: 8 servings
- 5-6 cups of beef broth/stock and/or water (I used 20 ounces very concentrated broth, and enough water to cover the ingredients)
- 2 pounds of ground beef, browned and drained of liquid
- 2 pounds of baby potatoes cleaned and diced into 1 inch chunks (for AIP sub sweet potatoes)
- 1 pound of carrots, diced
- 5-6 celery stalks diced
- 3 cups of chopped kale (I buy bagged kale from Trader Joe’s)
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1-2 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional – though it adds just a nice mellow heat)
- In a large stock pot or slow cooker add 2-3 cups of broth/stock/water. Mix in the seasonings and tomato paste.
- Add the remaining ingredients, saving the rest of the broth (or stock/water) for last and adding just enough to cover the ingredients.
- For a stock pot on the stove, bring the soup to a boil over medium-high to high heat. Cover the soup once it is boiling, and reduce the heat down to a simmer. Cook for at least one hour, or until the veggies are soft. For a crock pot, cook on low for 8 hours.
- Once ready, ladle into bowls, and allow the soup to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Please note that I am not a doctor, and nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice. Thankful for your readership.