I have found that I am a total sucker for Paleo baked goods. I just love to sit down with my sweet husband and enjoy the recreation of my old favorites in a healthy, guilt-free and pain-free form.
I also love the process of recreating those grain-filled baked goods. Mixing and measuring – testing, and experimenting! At times there are failures – which makes the successes so much sweeter! 😉 the best kind of success includes not only getting the right taste – but also just the right texture.
I have to say that my Paleo Sandwich Bread is my favorite success in that regard. I made it this past weekend after several months of having to go without it (thanks to a brief recommended diet change) and it was better than I remembered! 🙂
I thought that it would be fun to revisit this recipe with you – in a bit more detail and with much better pictures!
Paleo White Sandwich Bread
- 1 and 1/2 cups Blanched Almond Butter at room temperature (recipe below) OR sub Cashew Butter
- 5 eggs at room temperature, separated (yolks and whites)
- 1/4 cup of Palm Shortening
- 2 tbsp Arrowroot Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Cream of Tater
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- Hand Mixer or Kitchen Aid Mixer
- 8×4 Loaf Pan (9×5 okay)
- Parchment Paper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place a small oven-safe dish filled with water on the bottom rack of the oven (to create steam – this helps with rising and making a crust).
- In the loaf pan place parchment paper in the bottom, and grease the sides with extra palm shortening.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer (or Kitchen Aid Mixer) cream the shortening, separated egg yokes, and blanched almond butter until well combined. Mix in the arrowroot, baking soda, and sea salt.
- In a clean medium bowl place the egg whites and cream of tartar. With clean and dry beaters, beat the whites on medium speed until doubled in size and when the beaters are lifted soft peaks form.
- With a spatula slowly fold the beaten egg whites into the rest of the batter. Make sure to get beneath the batter – fold until just combined.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and immediately place in oven.
- Do not open the oven again for at least 30 minutes (this will release the steam and the bread will not rise). Bake for 40 – 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Once finished, let cool for 5-10 min. Use a knife to run down the sides of the bread and the pan, turn over unto cooling rack or plate. Slice as needed. Store in an airtight container once cooled- lasts up to 7 days out of the fridge, 10-12 days in the fridge, and it can be frozen in slices.
Blanched Almond Butter.
- 3 cups (12 ounces) blanched almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread the 12 ounces of blanched almonds out on a rimmed baking sheet and place in the oven.
- Toast for 8-10 minutes, stir at halfway point.
- Remove almonds from the oven and carefully place in the smaller bowl (4-cup) of the food processor (if no smaller bowl is available a large bowl is fine).
- Place on the top and remove the “food pusher” (the smaller part of the “food pusher” if applicable to yours). Letting them process while they are warm speeds up the process- removing the “food pusher” lets the steam escape.
- Process the almonds until the butter forms and looks like a thick liquid. It’ll probably take 10- 15 minutes. Scrap down the sides as needed.
- Store in fridge in airtight container until ready to use or let cool to room temp to make the bread.