It’s been a cold, gray, and rainy Sunday afternoon. What do we turn to warm up with? Tomato soup and grilled cheese, of course. Nostalgia at its best.
Dairy was involved in this kitchen adventure- so this meal is better labeled as “Primal.”
It all began with me whipping up some Sandwich Bread.
While it baked I made the tomato soup! This is as simple as simple gets with making a homemade tomato soup.
Time: 30 min Serves 2
- 1 can of tomato puree- 6 ounces
- 2 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk, almond milk, or cream (feel free to use less water and more cream/milk)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Grab a saucepan, throw all your ingredients in and whisk it together until smooth.
- Over medium heat bring it to a slow boil, and then lower the heat to medium low.
- Let it simmer/reduce for 20 minutes.
- Ready to accompany your grilled cheese!
Grain-free Grilled Cheese
Time: 5-7 min Serves: 1
- 2 slices of Sandwich Bread
- 1 thick slice of grass-fed cheese- I chose Organic Valley’s Jack
- 1 tbsp grass-fed butter/ghee, coconut oil, or bacon fat
- Put your 1 tbsp of cooking fat in your skillet and heat it over medium-low to medium heat.
- Assemble your sandwich while your skillet is heating up.
- Once your skillet has come to temperature carefully place your sandwich in the skillet.
- Fry on both sides for 2-3 minutes, until the cheese is melted and your bread is browned to your liking.
- Devour with your tomato soup!